The Ketogenic Diabetic Resources Page
Low Carb Lifestyle Books:
- Bernstein, Richard K. Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. New York: Little, Brown, 2011. Amazon | iBook
- Volek, Jeff, Stephen D. Phinney, Eric Kossoff, Jacqueline A. Eberstein, and Jimmy Moore. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable. Lexington, KY: Beyond Obesity, 2011. Amazon | (not available as an iBook)
- Volek, Jeff, and Stephen D. Phinney. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance: A Revolutionary Program to Extend Your Physical and Mental Performance Envelope. Lexington, KY: Beyond Obesity, 2012. Amazon | (not available as an iBook)
Carb vs. Fat Controversy Books:
- Taubes, Gary. Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health. New York: Anchor, 2008. Amazon | iBook
- Taubes, Gary. Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It. New York: Anchor, 2011. Amazon | iBook
- Lustig, Robert H. Fat Chance: Beating the Odds against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease. New York: Penguin Group, 2014. Amazon | iBook
- Davis, William. Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health. Emmaus, Penn.: Rodale, 2011. Amazon | iBook
- Perlmutter, David, and Kristin Loberg. Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–your Brain’s Silent Killers. New York: Little, Brown, 2013. Amazon | iBook
Insulin Sensitivity Books:
- Thompson, Rob. The Sugar Blockers Diet: Eat Great, Lose Weight: A Doctor’s 7 Step Plan to Lose Weight, Lower Blood Sugar, and Beat Diabetes While Eating the Carbs You Love. Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2012. Amazon | iBook
Books for Inspiration and Useful Tips:
- Gawande, Atul. The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right. New York: Picador, 2010. Amazon | iBook
- Harvard Scientist Supports U-Turn on Dietary Fat Rules
- Mat Lalonde Nutrient Density: Sticking to the Essentials AHS12 – If you aren’t very patient, skip to minute 36 to get the point about the relative nutrient density of organ meats.
- Why We Get Fat – A must view if you are concerned about the health risks of eating more fat. I’ve recommended Gary Taubes books above and several times in my posts. If you want the message, but are less inclined to buy and read a book, this is your resource. T2 diabetics with unhealthy weight and who are not injecting insulin should enjoy focusing on the weight loss message in this video. Note: Anyone who injects insulin, must not neglect their insulin injections in order to lose weight. If you are after your beach bod, but are an insulin dependent diabetic, you are going off a ketogenic diet and going on a suicide diet if you prioritize weight loss over blood sugar control.
Self-Awareness Kicking In: A Note About The Affiliated Links
It occurred to me while stringing together my assembled knowledge about this subject, that it would be convenient to have a landing page to go to for quick access to all the resources I’ve mentioned in my posts. I’ve read a ton in my attempt to collect good tips and want you to have the same resources available.
Full disclosure, this is also commercialism (less than crass, but commercialism none-the-less). I’m trying to keep my blog relatively ad free, clean and friendly, but hosting isn’t free, and the more I have to work to pay bills the less time I have to stay on top of regular posts. I hope that you’ll excuse that most of the links to non-free resources are affiliated links to either Amazon or Apple’s iBooks.
Please know that I will never put anything here that I don’t honestly believe is worth your time and money. I won’t become some snake-oil salesman promising that if you, “…just take 6 pills a day of Unobtainium®!! you can have perfect health for two $40 bottles a month.”
There are lots of supplements that I’ve tried over the years for increasing insulin sensitivity, and precious few have done anything to better that measurement for me more than a walk around the block, and you can take a walk for free.